Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Etymology and Proper Terminology

While I was making hotdogs, I overheard this conversation:
RayRay: what animal do weenies come from? (innocent question, he inquires of the origin of everything he eats these days)
Kimberly: (reads the package) it says pork and beef, so that means pigs and cows....but only the males, I think

So we had to research online the anatomical origins of weenies, to clarify that it is not gender specific.......which led to her point blank "chicken or the egg" question, to which I replied frankly best I could. I was not prepared nor did I savor this discussion, especially when the kids reminded me that "that must be why Grandma Evelyn calls things by their proper name." Makes me wonder what is being discussed over there! She raised me, so I guess I should be more comfortable with her "medical book" vocabulary, but I have never really liked hearing my kids say "That dog urinated on our doorstep!" and "Watch out! Don't step in those dog feces."

No comments:

Post a Comment